Friday, July 20, 2012

Using journal cards to create pockets.

I have been totally in love with these Lily Bee Designs journaling cards since the day I received them and just can't stop using them on projects. I love the patterns and pretty designs on each one. They come in each line - Handmade, Victoria Park, Double Dutch and Buttercup - and I sure hope they continue making these in their new lines too.

On the cover, I used some various pieces from all the lines "Bag of Bits" and stitched them together to create a little hanging banner, which dresses up the front cover just a "bit"! (No pun intended- ha.)

To create the pages, I cut pieces of vellum for the pages 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" (single sheets, not folded) and then stitched the journaling cards onto the bottoms as pockets to hold photos of our recent trip to Maine.

You can tuck photos into the pockets or simply add the photo over the top of the journaling cards and journal next to the photo like I did on this page. I decorated the page with the Victoria Park Cardstock Sticker banners. Quick, easy, and adds a bit of color pop!
What is so fun about the journaling cards is that they mix and match so effortlessly when put together, even though they are from all of the different Lily Bee lines! I used one to make the pocket here and another one to tuck inside behind the photo.
I really love the numbered journaling cards from the Handmade line! Perfect for an age, a special date, a number of people in the photo, etc. So many uses for them.

Don't forget that pockets can be used to hold memorabilia also, tickets, stubs, letters, etc!
This album only took me about an hour to finish. (It actually took me longer to take all of these pictures and blog it!) My fastest one yet, but I hope to add many more pages to it! Would you believe that I took 750 photos in Maine. It's very hard to widdle it down to my favorites!! You can punch photos and add them in between the pages too, instead of making a pocket for every photo.
Vellum is so pretty for a mini album, because of the transparency - you can see all of the pretty colors from the other pages peeking through- enticing you to want to see more. Thanks so much for visiting. Stop over to the Lily Bee blog to see more ideas with Lily Bee products!
Smile Mini Album supplies:
STAMPS: Victoria Park Clear Stamps by Lily Bee Designs
INK: white paint
PAPER: Buttercup Bag of Bits, Double Dutch Bag of Bits, Victoria Park Index Journal Cards, Victoria Park Mixed Card Stickers, Victoria Park Bag of Bits by Lily Bee Designs
DIES: corner rounder
OTHER: Twinery twine, ring, vellum, white paint, machine stitching, white button, Papertrey Ink True Black ribbon, pearl.

7 comments:

AllyW said...

This is absolutely adorable! I love it. Makes me want to go and dig out all my vellum i haven't used in forever :)

Sherry Eckblad said...

Love the idea of using vellum as a mini album and I know I have some somewhere in my stash.

Would you mind telling me what size the vellum is in your album and did you fold a piece in half to create each page or is it just single sheets you cut and sewed onto?

Danielle Flanders said...

Yes! They are all cut 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" are are just a single sheet with the journal card stitched onto the front.
Danielle

Kari D said...

Love this project, Danielle! So great....perhaps I will take the dive into 'scrapbooking!'

Hey, just saw on the Stamp-a-faire video you are in upstate NY! I'm in Syracuse.....gotta love we have a PSI DT member in the 'hood!

Pretty said...

IL EST SUBLIME
VERY BEAUTIFUL
SCRAPBISES
PRETTY

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!

Cindy said...

This is beautiful....I have soooo many journaling cards that I never knew what to do with! Just love your ideas!