Saturday, July 21, 2012

8 pm EST: DIY Badge- Homemade Embellishments

Washi tape is very popular right now, and I thought I'd share with my Papertrey Ink friends how to make your own out of patterned paper. "Tape transfer" is not a new technique, as I had seen it long, long ago. Remember the Carol Duvall show? I loved her. She had used packing tape here with photos instead of patterned paper, but I thought this would be great fun using Papertrey Ink's pretty papers! Let me show you how:

Step 1: You will need patterned papers, Scotch tape, a small bowl of water, scissors and a bone folder.
Step 2: Cut papers the width of the tape (3/4").
Step 3: Cover paper strips with Scotch tape. Rub the tape to the paper firmly with a bone folder to make sure it's attached down to the paper securely.
Step 4: Place strip in water for 10-20 seconds, or longer if need be. Let it soak in the water until back of paper feels soft enough to rub off.
Step 5: Turn the strip of paper over and peel off the back of paper under the water with your fingers. Try not to scratch it with your fingernail, as the colorful part will be removed also if you scratch it too hard. Use the soft pads of your fingers or thumb to rub off the white part of the paper backing under the water until ALL of the white paper backing is removed.
Now continue doing these steps with several different patterns, and you'll have some really neat transparent washi tape of your own!

Aren't they adorable? I've used Summer Sunshine, Dark Chocolate, Melon Berry, Pure Poppy, Simply Chartreuse and Tutti Fruiti patterned papers. These are still a bit wet, but you'll want to let them dry before adding them to your project. You can trim the ends at an angle to make it look more like tape.

The tape isn't sticky anymore, however I love that you are taking your favorite patterned papers and making them transparent. Did you know that you can do this with photos also? How about wrapping a gift box up with tape made from your favorite photos? FUN! Here is a finished project using my tape strips:
The tapes look really neat overlapping the white cardstock, so I cut them up and used them around the edges of the card. I added a sentiment and cherries from the Fruit Fusion: Cherries stamps and dies.

Give this a try! It's a lot of fun!




Hi Sweetie card:
STAMPS: Fruit Fusion: Cherries
INK: True Black, Simply Chartreuse
PAPER: Kraft and white cardstock, Pure Poppy Pattern Pack, Simply Chartreuse Pattern Pack, Melon Berry Pattern Pack, Summer Sunrise Pattern Pack, Tutti Fruit Pattern Pack
DIES: Fruit Fusion
OTHER: Scotch tape.

29 comments:

Robin said...

This is so cool. I also loved the Carol Duvall show - really miss it. Thanks for sharing your talent. What a fun day this has been.

Jessie said...

Very cool!! I can see doing this a lot! I have had a great day learning from you all!! Thank you!

Kara said...

Awesome!! I will try this:)

Luvpurple said...

How fun! Did you use a special adhesive to adhere your washi tape?

LMcBurney said...

That is really a neat trick. Did you use liquid glue to adhere the strips or a tape runner. Do you have a preference?

Tiffany H. said...

Wow, what a cool technique! How did you adhere the "washi" tape to your card?

BethW said...

I love it.Just posted a link on my favorite MB.I miss Carol!

Danielle Flanders said...

Thank you! I used a tape runner to adhere the tape. Apply to the card though, not the tape. I tried wet glue, but it showed through the tape and I didn't like it as much.
Danielle

Maureen V said...

Thanks so much for this technique tutorial! I have been interested in washi tape but hadn't found any that I liked in my LSS. Now I can make my own!!

Cristina said...

Wow, this is so cool!! Thank you so much for the tutorial, I must try it!

Lisa Kind said...

Cool technique! I love the look! I also loved Carol Duval's show! I watched it faithfully and got so many great ideas from her!

Haberdawoman said...

What a WONDERFUL technique!!! Thank you for sharing this with us!!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! What kind of adhesive did you use -- it doesn't seem to show through on your card.

CottageBliss said...

I saw this years ago but never thought about making my own washi! Thanks so much!!

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I would love to try this out! :)

Maureen said...

I've been trying to make my own washi and never thought to do this technique! Thanks for the inspiration!

Myoriah said...

It is nice to see the older techniques coming back.Years ago I did this with the clear packing tape. I still have on VHS tapes some of the Carol Duval shows and want to transfer them to DVD. They are fun to watch. Also I found at the library books by her.

I love your card and your diy Washi tape really adds to it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You're a genius! I have jumped on so many trends (and spent accordingly) that I've really resisted buying washi tape. This is a perfect solution! Use what I already have and only make what I will use. Thank you. Thank you.

Jessica Rodarte said...

What a fabulous, fabulous idea!!

Jennifer K said...

Cool! Can't wait to give this a go. Thanks for all your hard work for SAF!!

pamela said...

Amazing tutorial! Must must MUST try!

Gina said...

Oh, I miss the Carol Duvall Show!!! Remember Mary O'Neil stamping on velvet? I do remember this tutorial with the photo and can't wait to make washi tape with it!!!

Kristii said...

genious!!!!!

Melisa Marie said...

That a GREAT tutorial!!! Thanks so much for sharing! I've seen MANY MANY washi tape tutorials but this is the neatest one I've seen so far.

Just an idea, one thing you can use to make the back of your washi tape sticky (maybe if you wanna send it to someone as an RAK or something) is the Xyron. You can either use a big one and put several strips in a row to put them all through at the same time, or if you just want to use small strips (like you've used in this project) then you could run them through the mini X xyron. because the xyron adhesive is clear, it won't have any effect on the appearance of your washi tape's transparency!

Hope to see more soon! (I'm a new follower).

Thanks for all the great projects. :)
~Melisa Marie

Cris said...

I like your tutorial. Thank you for sharing. I adore your projects.
From Spain, kisses!!

Donna said...

LOVED Carol's show. She was my first crafting idol. This is beyond fabulous! Plus it is fun. Inspired By Stamping has a great batch of Washi Tape projects today. Thank you for sharing this technique. BTW, are you a Fiskateer? If not, we would love for you to join us at www.fiskateers.com - great crafting community.

Julie Marshall said...

I love Washi tape! Will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

LG said...

I just tried this, it's brilliant! This is curently my favorite handmade embellishment. THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL!!!

Nanbebe13 said...

Awesome!!!